Friday, April 10, 2015

the power of attention

What you focus on you get more of.

If we're focusing on the bad...not only will we get more of it, but we will feel more of it. 

Not enough quiet time or a quick respite I needed an was able to get because I stay at home.

A mess/what will the neighbors think? or wow, look at how his creativity has grown! 
The only flower to bloom in our new house this spring or I have a blank canvas to really make my own for this summer and next spring. 
mess or masterpiece

........................
I think the times that are hardest are the following scenarios:

Kids stop hitting each other. 
Stop kicking.
Stop whining 
Stop begging. 
Stop negotiating. 

Oy. How often parents focus on the negativity instead of looking at it as a learning experience.

Do you value hurting?= Stop kicking your brother!
Do you value learning?= When you want your brother to move, say "Move, please."

This video is a long one, but it's worth considering.
Years ago (as an elementary school teacher) I was introduced to Dr. Becky Bailey's Conscious Discipline, and I've loved it ever since. 


Or check out her website Conscious Discipline


Have a great weekend all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10