Friday, November 15, 2013

birthday lessons learned

I should preface this by saying that I am not an expert on party planning. Not really an expert on anything, but these are tips that I've learned through these first three years of mamahood. My hope in sharing them is that they help relieve some of the giant expectations we often put on ourselves.
I remember being a kid and my parties were simple but fun. I tried to channel that for little man's most recent birthday celebration. Because really a stressed out (and broke) mama does not equal a fun time in my book.

1. Don't stress yourself about food. Make what you like.
We had chili, hot dogs, carrots (a Dean favorite!), fruit, juice (a special treat!), and chocolate cake. Super easy. The kids loved it. Low maintenance in the crock pot, and easy to freeze the leftovers for a later date. 



2. Think like a kid. Kid fun at parties means kid activities. Not trying to get them to do grown-up skills whilst on a sugar high. Seriously. Put away the crafts. They can't sit through them. Last year, Dean was really into flashlights. So, naturally we had a flashlight party in our basement with a few dozen glow sticks thrown in for fun. This year, he's into running around fast. So, out came the silly string. He and his dad against Noah. Not sure who "won", but by the looks on their faces they all certainly had a great time. 




3. Love tradition, and add in your own flare. Dean was three, but he got 10 candles on his cake. Why? Because little boys like to blow out candles, and the more the merrier. To continue the "I like fire" theme, we also roasted marshmallows in the fire pit and made smores. Mmmmmm. That might have been just as much for mama as it was for my baby bird. 

4. Take lots of pictures. Because they're only going to be turning __________ once. 





5. RELAX and enjoy your little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10