Sunday, March 3, 2013

love is...

a daddy taking his baby girl to the emergency room at 1 in the morning. 
Because she's not acting right. 
Because mommy can't figure it out. 
Because she just spit up everywhere, and that's not in her m.o.
Because she woke up from a comfortable sleep and cried and cried and cried.
Because she was shaking with a fever and the dose of children's motrin should have controlled the fever.
Because her chubbly little lips were purple...
..................................
Let me back up a bit.
I took Vivian to the doctor before we went on our trip. 
She wasn't herself. 
I couldn't tell if it was serious or a cold.
 I'm not an obsessive mom when it comes to sickness. 
I don't take the kiddos temps. 
I can tell when they have a fever. 
I look for signs for taking a kiddo to the doctor...food changes, lethargy, lack of improvement, etc.

The doctor thought she might have strep or RSV. 
She had neither. 
Because he's an awesome doc. he didn't try to push an antibiotic for a viral infection. 
Thank you. 
A few days of Benadryl would help dry her up he said. 
It did. 
She seemed to have recovered by the time we got to California. 
The long drive and copious amounts of sleep seemed to help her little body...I was grateful for the long car ride. 
On the way back home, a mild fever started. 

Parents of teething babies know that lots can (and often does) get attributed to teething.
 She seemed to feel great other than the fever. 
We attributed it to teething. 

But it's continued. 
Sporadically. 
Rearing it's head at night. 
Last night was the last straw.

Purple was the color of her pajamas...it shouldn't also be the color of her lips...
especially when she was burning up...and had had a dose of motrin a couple of hours earlier. 

..........................
Dustin works tonight (Sunday). 
Saturday night is his night to get a really healthy night's sleep to prep him for his work week. 
For those of you who don't know...D works nights and watches the kiddos during the day (except Mondays and Tuesdays when our babysitters angels care for them).
 D takes his sleep seriously. 
He has to. 
It's short and precious. 
It's the difference between feeling human and not.

I knew what I was asking of him. 
 He didn't question me. 
He respected my mama judgement of the situation. 
He showed me true love. 
He's so good for that. 
I've got so much to learn from him. 
......................................
How was Vivi you ask? 
(All two of you that have made it this far into a really rambled post!)
She's ok. 
Here's the honest truth...I can't remember what D told me when he came home.
 I do remember him saying that they catheterized her. 
I remember him saying that she had medicine in the fridge. 
I remember him telling me what was wrong, but it didn't stick...and I asked twice. 

D and Vivi are upstairs sleeping. 
I'll ask him (for a third time) when he wakes up. 
In the meantime, Dean and mommy are watching Cinderella on DVR and having a cozy little morning. 
........................................................
Here's an insight into the mind of a two year old: 

Dean: Where's Daddy?
Me: He's upstairs sleeping.
Dean: Did he go to woooork?
Me: No, last night he took Vivi to the doctor. Do you remember that Vivi wasn't feeling well?
Dean: Yeah.
Me: You do don't you. (happy that he remembers being thoughtful about his sister) Do you know what the doctor said?
Dean: No more monkeys jumping on the bed!
........................................................
We're taking it easy today in the Alsey household.
Lots of love.


1 comment:

  1. Prayers for Vivi for a speedy recovery and for her family to stay strong while you care for her.
    Grandma and Grandpa love you!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10