Wednesday, November 17, 2010

::unsolicited advice::

So, I haven't been getting many comments on the blog itself, but I have heard from many folks via email. Keep the communication coming- otherwise I'd go an entire day saying only things like "I love you, jelly bean.", "Open, open baby bird!", or "Let's get that old stinky diaper off of you. Dean."

One email was from a coworker from my Chicago days. We've long since lost touch, but I still check her facebook page every once in awhile. She is a mom of two of the most beautiful little girls, she loves Jesus, and her husband is French.

Anyway, I told Dustin the other day that I "needed a minute to myself" and went into the den to check my facebook page- it's great for the 5 minute-have-to-clear-my-mind-and-unwind moments of my day. It had been a loooong, hard day with Dean. He hadn't slept much the two prior nights (see the early morning posts), and he'd also chosen to cry off and on all day. Ugh. Night was approaching and he was crying when I handed him off to Dustin. I was surprised to see an email from someone that I hadn't spoken to in so long...especially since it was unsolicited parenting advice.

The email started "I'm SO SO SO SO sorry if this is unsolicited mothering advice. But I'm taking the 1% risk that it might help you...Have you seen Happiest Baby on the Block? It's a set of steps to go through to calm a baby. It's magical."

Dustin and I watched a short video posted on the website, tried the techniques, and cried tears of joy when it worked. I'm tearing up a little just thinking about it right now. We've since checked out the book from the library, watched videos posted on youtube, and are going to get the video from the library as soon as it becomes available.

Here's the thing: I hope that in the future I take the time (and courage) to offer unsolicited advice when I see someone who could use it. It doesn't make you a know-it-all as I have feared- it makes you a friend.

Dustin and I are forever grateful to this long lost coworker (angel in disguise) for sending us the advise we needed...when we needed it. Since then, our nights have been sleepful once again and I face my days alone with my baby with a renewed calm knowing that I have a few tricks up my sleeve to use when needed.

Send your newborn parenting advice my way...consider it officially solicited. :)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! Have already added the DVD to our Netflix queue!

    -Clay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel awful that I didn't mention this resource to our whole class!! I got the DVD as a shower gift and we have found it to be a miracle system. Would you like our DVD? I would be happy to drop it in the mail today!! Just send me your address!! Suzanne Sowards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the offer, Suzanne! I read the book (during feedings) and borrowed the dvd from Nicole. Dustin and I can't believe how well it works!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10